The Texas Master Naturalist (TMN) program continues to grow in terms of local chapters, volunteers and impact.
Through the year of 2016 and to date, Texas Master Naturalists have reported:
- More than 10,800 volunteers have been trained through TMN training classes.
- There are 46 TMN chapters statewide with two in development.
- 428,168 service hours were reported by TMN volunteers throughout the 2016 calendar year. This service is valued at more than $9.48 Million.
- To date, over 3.690 Million hours – valued at $84.88 Million have been reported to the TMN program.
- Last year TMN volunteer reached over 426,000 youth adults and private land owners through their outreach, educational and technical guidance events. Through 2016, TMN volunteers have reached more than 5.6 Million people to date.
- 4,887 new acres were impacted in 2016 through TMN volunteer stewardship projects and management plans and over 226,200 acres have been impacted to date.
- 105 new trail miles were developed and/or maintained through new TMN service projects in 2016. To date, over 2,120.68 trail miles have been impacted.
- Over 400 partnerships at the local chapter level have been established statewide to date.
An individual gains the designation of Texas Master Naturalist after participating in an approved chapter training program with a minimum of 40 hours of combined field and classroom instruction, obtaining 8 hours of approved advanced training, and completing 40 hours of volunteer service. Following the initial training program, trainees have one year in which to complete their 40 hours of volunteer service and 8 hours of advanced training. To retain the Texas Master Naturalist title during each subsequent year, volunteers must complete 8 additional hours of advanced training and provide an additional 40 hours of volunteer service coordinated through their local chapter. Though that seems like a lot for a volunteer program, so many volunteers do even more; 52 volunteers have given over 5,000 service hours, and 9 volunteers have given over 10,000 service hours!